Thursday, November 20, 2008

Track & Field

Like many other people, I too remember the good ‘ol days of high school sports. I didn’t play football or swim or anything like that. I was a runner. Running was my forte, so the obvious sports for me were Track and Cross Country. My school wasn’t much competition for some of the bigger schools (our school ~300 students, other schools in the area ~1500 students) but being that running can be more of an individual sport, I did alright.

I was a ‘Jack of All Trades’. I’ve done most of the events: 3200 Meter, 1600 Meter, 800 Meter, 400 Meter, 200 Meter, 4x800 Meter, 4x400 Meter, Discus, Long Jump, and Pole Vault. I did have a few specialties though. I would always run the 1600 meter (mile) run. My personal best was 4:41, which was ok. I know I could have done better, but I was by far the best in my school and didn’t really have anyone to train with to push each other to the next level. My other specialty was the 4x400 meter run. Those of you that were in track are probably shaking your heads now because every track runner knows that the 1600 meter is the 2nd to last race. And the 4x400 is the last. This would mean that I would finish the 1600 meter race and then have to check-in as they called for the 4x400 teams to check-in. Luckily, I was the last leg of the 4x4 so I had a little time to rest.

My favorite moment in track wasn’t crossing the finish line in 1st place; it certainly wasn’t finishing in last place. It was that moment just before the race would begin. That moment where time would stand still as you waited for the gun to fire. I can feel that deep tingling feeling in my chest right now just thinking about it. I’d get a rush of adrenaline as I stood at the ready for the race to start. Then a wave of thunder would sound and I would sprint away from the line. The race was on.


2 comments:

BLaZE said...

I never knew you were any good. Guess you learn something new every day.

Veasy said...

T&F is the bees knees for sure, which is perfect for us Jack of all Traders. A buffet of competition.

Nothing in life has ever made me as nervous as the feeling between when they call you for check-in and the anchor leg of the 4x400 (aka the Lion's Race). So much can happen in those few minutes after the gun goes off, and it doesn't matter how fast/slow everyone else ran, because anchor (wo)man is always there to clean up the mess.