Thursday, January 8, 2009

Assailant All Together…

I’m not sure how many people out there know of Mitch Hedberg. But if you don’t, you should. He was a stand-up comedian (who unfortunately lost his life in 2005), and probably one of the best I’ve ever heard. Unlike Dane Cook and half the idiots with Comedy Central specials today, Mitch has staying power. I listen to his albums and they never get old. I laugh just as hard at each joke today as the first time I heard it. It has actually been a while since I’ve listened to him, but I heard a joke of his the other day and it all came flooding back.



One of his jokes (one of my favorites) is about how he would answer the infamous job question, “Where do you see yourself in 5 years?” I love this joke! I love it so much in fact that I actually said it in a job interview.

I was interviewing for an intern position for the DBA department at Menards. My first interview was just like any other. It was uncomfortable, cramped, way too hot, and awkward as all hell. Anyways, we’re rolling through the standard interview questions and I’m answering the questions well. Finally, he gets to the last question: “Where do you see yourself in 5 years?” As soon as he asked, all I could think about was Mitch and that joke. So, like a smart-ass, I answered, “Celebrating the 5th year anniversary of you asking me this question!” Needless to say, he was not amused… not in the slightest. Joke’s on them, I got the job!

The moral of the story: act like a smart-ass in a job interview- it can’t fail! Also, listen to Mitch Hedberg, he’s great inspiration.

3 comments:

BLaZE said...

Haha, I remember that. Something TOTALLY against you're personality to do in an interview at the time. I couldn't believe it. I still love it though.

RIP Mitch.

Veasy said...

I've read in a few interviewing articles that if an interviewer actually asks this question, you have the author's permission to get up and leave. It's insanely dumb, completely canned, and the answer is always scripted. A piece of my soul dies every time I have to answer it.

Veasy said...

P.S. Kudos to you!