Friday, December 5, 2008

2008 Season

Well, it’s been a while since I’ve posted. To tell you the truth, I’m not surprised I’ve begun to falter. I’ll try to not let my follower(s?) down and post on a more regular basis. The good news is that now I have saved up and have a lot to talk about. Let’s get started.

With the beginning of December marks the end of the 2008 Deer hunting season for me. As I said in my previous post, I always get new stories whenever I go hunting. This year is no different. Opening morning I was walking down a trail and came to a crossing. Down the other trail I saw two fawns walking towards me. I’m not going to shoot a fawn so I just decided to watch. They came closer and closer. At about 50 yards I grew anxious and decided to take action. I waved at the deer in an effort to shoo them away. To my surprise, one of the deer saw me and began running towards me, as if I was his long lost pal. Finally, the other deer saw me and was not so overjoyed. He darted into the woods and the other followed.

The next weekend I had a shot at a doe from ~250-300 yards. I could clearly see the head, but everything else was hidden in brush. I picked a spot where the vitals should be and pulled the trigger. Unfortunately I missed. At that distance, being off by even a cm means that you’ll be off by a foot or two. Disappointing, but I’ll blame it on the tree swaying in the wind.
The next day I was walking around when I heard a noise. I drew my gun and waited. Out walks another fawn maybe 20 yards away. It turns and looks at me, but it must not have been able to wind me because it wasn’t sure what I was. So it walked closer and closer, trying to figure out what I was. Finally, it got to be about two arm lengths away and stopped. I was almost in disbelief at how close the deer was. I thought about pulling out my knife, but it was just a step out of reach. After maybe 10 minutes of the deer curiously looking at me it grew tired and walked away.

Unfortunately I didn’t get a deer this year. But it’s ok since my brother went Rambo and killed everything in sight. So when you think about it, I have stories and venison. Can I really ask for much more?

No comments: